Some insights to my practicle team creation & leadership experiences accumulated during the last 25 years

Hi everybody. Are You alive and fresh again, so that Your eyes can safely make their journey through my 3rd post

? I mean, right now it is saturday morning here in São Paulo and last night was friday night, so it might be a little too early still for at least some of You ..... Don`t worry, You`re excused. I know You.  Leave my post besides and read it in 5 hours. 

Let me please at first give You some important general comments about my blog. When I started this blog exactly 3 days ago, I did not really read or understand a lot about the technical features of the blogger tool and the google functionality. 

I just identified it quickly as one of the leading tools for people running blogs and after having played 5 minutes with it, I decided, that it`s very easy to use it and that therefore I`d like it. Anyhow I did not want to become much more than a pure user of this tool. 

All the details, how it`s built and works etc. were truly spoken not at all of my interest. But after having done my first 2 posts and after having received a lot of fantastic feedback from wonderful people allover the world, I have been made aware of some general deficiencies, which definitely have origin in my very basic blogger tool know how. 

Many people would like to become followers of my blog directly here in blogger/google, but we couldn`t find out yet, how to enable this. Others found difficulties to place their comments directly into my posts in blogger. I am really ashame for that, but must I admit, that I have not the least clue yet, how to get this fixed. Why not do some "crowd brain funding" and appeal to Your experience with regards to these purely technical system questions? 

Maybe the one or other of You can easily give us blind fish the right hints, how to become a follower of my blog in blogger/google and how to access easily my blog posts for reading and commenting from anywhere in the internet. For all those, who for whatever reasons prefer this, You can also just follow me in linkedin and find my daily blog posts there as well. 

But I wouldn`t love, to find my blog in blogger soon looking the same as a graveyard. This refers to the joke, where 3 people participate in the burrial of a person and – standing at the open grave – one of them says to the others “I can`t understand this. He had more 80.000 followers”. 

And this little story leads me already to sharing with You a really  important learning experience, which I have made during the last 25 years of my career in general management  functions as Plant Manager, Managing Director, CEO and President for first class german industrial companies like Henkel, ElringKlinger, BOS, IWKA/Oystar, GEA Heat Exchangers and now - already since almost six years - for Vulkan at different places around the globe. 

What I can state clearly so far is, that as a General Manager nobody nowadays, in the modern, professional world, expects You to be an expert in all business dimensions related to Your function and company. 

With todays complexity, high velocity and dynamic of our businesses, to be true, hardly anybody would even be able, to accomplish this. This can still work only, when people start very early in a company and climb up the career ladder there during long enough years, maybe all their life long. 

But I think, even this management model has more and more become very seldom and rare in our modern industry world . So, how to become able to dominate such multiple functions within the general business responsability safely and without permanent risk of heart attack, alcoholism and repeated divorce? 

The only, but really easy and secure way, to master this challenge, is to find the right, qualified, experienced and trustful people, each of them an excelent expert in his area of responsability, to form a strong and highly motivated team with all of them, to give each of them authority, resources and support enough for becoming able, to do his job efficiently with high productivity,  and to constantly motivate and inspire this whole team for seeking ceaselessly new challenging targets and outstanding results. That`s it. So easy - please read the sentence again and confirm each single constraint mentioned.

I have personally already had the luck and opportunity, to learn this in practice during more than 25 years in several totally different – all of these global leaders in their business segment– industrial companies of totally different structures, sizes, company cultures and in totally different industries, market segments, global locations and cultural, economical and political environments. 

Thus I have gained plenty of good (and bad) experience with setting up such strong, highly motivated and excellently performing teams, which gives me really extreme pride and satisfaction. With this background described, I am showing You In this post a picture of my current management team, together with which I run successfully our fantastic and highly successful - even in Brazil and despite the Covid-19 crisis - company Vulkan do Brasil (200 employees, global product development & engineering center for our industrial division, highly efficient, lean, agile factory, 3 different aggressive sales divisions with different sales area responsabilities; for our main Division Vulkan Drive Tech (industrial, mechanical power transmission solutions and services) we have been named responsible from out of our company in Itatiba, São Paulo, and our sales & engineering offices in Rio de Janeiro, Bogotá, Colombia, and Mexico City, for Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and all South America. 

But don`t worry. I wil definitely not (ab)use my lovely blog for doing boring company propaganda. Anybody interested in more details about our familly held, globally acting german Vulkan Group, our more than 3000 products for practically uncountable applications in all different kinds of industries, can look up such information by himself on our corporate webpage www.vulkan.com or just contact me directly by email, on the fone or whatever other communication channel. If necessary, You can find my contact data in linkedin. OK ? You`re fine with that? Not sleeping again yet? Here still? 

While writing this new post, I am listening to piano concerts from good old Mozart, one of my favorite classical music composers. But instead of making me relaxed, Mozart makes me quite angry right now. Due to this damned Covid-19 crisis, I needed to finally cancel my wife`s and my own holiday trip to Europe, originally scheduled (flights, rental car, hotel, entertainment, leisure activities in the south of Germany, Vienna, Prague, Budapest and Dresden, all already firmly booked since a year ago) for july. 

One of the highlights of these unbelievably beautiful vacations should have been our attendance of a Mozart concert in the famous Vienna Opera House. Oh shit..... Gone now. Forget it.  Hope we can re-take all these fabulous plans next year once again. Please cross Your fingers for my wife and me. 

One more crazy comment. People normally can`t believe when they drive in my car with me and hear my mostly playing music playlist, which mixes Rolling Stones titles with Mozart piano pieces. 

This is a a very stimulant combination of power and equilibrium, of speed and slowness......You might want to try this out by Yourself one day. 

Let me know, whether this made You feel as delighted as it does for me. Thank You for having accompanied my blog once more today. We`re a strong and motivated team now, agreed ? 

I count on each of You guys ! Wish You lot`s of fun, relaxation, time with Your family & friends and whatever else You have planned for this weekend. 

Don`t forget, to look up my post number 4 tomorrow. And please – follow me in blogger and linkedin and give me plenty of comments. If just positive ones, no problem. 😎 

Greetings from my faithful assistant and companion Luke as well. And please remember: After action – Satisfaction. Bye for today.......See You back here again tomorrow. 


Comments

  1. Thanks my great brazilian friend english teacher since years for many of our employees involved in all kinds of jobs at many places around the globe, where we solve the problems of our customers. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend and companion Alex. You - as IT Manager @ Vulkan do Brasil make definitely part of this successful new project. Without Your excellent job I would never have found the means to connect so perfectly working to the world outside of my home office here in Vinhedo.

      Delete
  3. I am one still struggling puting my name...

    Your mexican friend Edgardo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esto no me lo puedo creer, cabron. What a shit. Edgardo, how can I help You to get this fixed? I definitely need You as an important part of this project and initiative. We`ve been solving so many problems together during 2006-2009, when You were one of the pillars in our management team as Logistics Manager during the construction and start-up of our brandnew BOS Automotive Irapuato assembly plant for premium car interior parts in Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico. Hijole, eso lo tenemos que soluciar ahorita.

      Delete
  4. Brother!!
    You have talent to make the people hungry for the next blog.... I like to read and compare with my own experiences after 30 years working for different industries all over the world!!.
    Most important are always the people!!!
    My grandmother always said:
    ALL PEOPLE SMILE IN THE SAME LANGUAGE!!!
    waiting for your blog tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few hours missing still for my tomorrow`s post beeing delivered to the public, my brother. Respect for Your grandmother. She must have been a grand lady and personality, very wise for sure. It will be almost impossible for me, to surprise You with wisdom, taking into account that You are a real strongman in general and professional international experience and 1000 times storm proven business practice. We`re blood brothers. Both born in K`town, as the US army soldiers doing service in Ramstein since decades use to call our home town Kaiserslautern in order to easen to speak it out.

      Delete
  5. Hello Klaus and fellow readers,

    the fear that there are too few people at your grave is unjustified, you have friends in every country in the world, I think there are more than 3 mourners when the time comes .. :-)

    My experience how I create successful teams, I would like to comment on my experience here.

    My successful team was during my time at GEA, it was a team of 8 employees (2 women, 6 men) who were able to answer the customer in a total of 12 languages. The team had 6 different religions. The age was between 24 and 72 years (the 72-year-old worked part-time as a business angel). Three were in the area of ​​commercial services, the others were concerned with technical sales. German / Turkish, German / Kazakh, German / Moroccan, German / Sri Langesian, German / American a Hungarian and the rest was German. All of them were at one location in Germany and served customers all over the world. We had incredible success and had fun at work. Building the team wasn't a walk, but it's a different story. The team was active for 8 years.
    I still often think about certain situations and events from the years, why it almost always worked but sometimes didn't ...
    I tried to build up a team like this again later, but I didn't succeed due to the lack of courage and trust of the management.
    My résumé is that the success was in the good mix, which many have probably already thought. But the good mix is ​​also transferable to all other areas of our lives.

    Some examples:
    If I have a varied diet, I am very likely to live a healthy life.
    If there are many restaurants in a street, the quality of the food is high.
    If mobility is mixed in a city (bike, train, car, etc.), the air is cleaner.
    If there are several religions in one country, religious wars are rarer.

    A word is spoken very often these days, it is the word "diversity". I love this word and often talk about it.
    I think that can be the key to a better world ..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning my friend and former GEA colleague, Reimund. Thanks for Your interesting experience sharing. I am especially thankful for Your positive comments to "my burrial" (in about 30 years). So for this occasion I can already only recommend You, to come early enough in order to avoid beeing in the entrance queue with some many people for hours. Good joke, isn`t it? Have a great day and lots of fun and success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sharing and comments. Gratidão!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me happy wth Your highly appreciated positive feedback, my great friend and supporter Karin. To know people like You is what finally counts in live. Wish You lots of further fun and success. See You hopefully soon again.

      Delete
  8. I totally know how is that Klaus, my playlist is considered crazy by the people, they do not understand how I hear MPB, rock, jazz and classic music, so different types for the same person, but it’s like it’s.

    And agree, creating a team that you can trust with a high level of professionalism makes you free to manage in different fronts without getting problems, this takes time and effort, but all of this pays off when you see a very advanced team, that can work remotely, for example. Very proud of my team too.

    Thanks for sharing your experience Klaus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - looks like we had the same affection for totally different music styles, my friend. And good to hear, that You are a great team builder and leader as well. Call me nuts now, but I strongly believe that one has to do with the other. Take care.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back again !

What`s behind my decision and reason to reactivate my blog?

Moving is living - one more step ahead towards our digital transformation